SWEET POTATO GRATIN (GLUTEN-FREE, GRAIN-FREE, VEGAN)

By now, you've probably heard me mention Ricki's Rutabaga Gratin a number of times. It has been a favorite of mine over the holidays, and the recipe has inspired me to brainstorm up tasty variations, and has even inspired an ice cream recipe. A sweet potato gratin was one of the first ideas I had after eating the original recipe, and I've served it at home and to friends a few times now, with glowing (ahem) reception. So for my friends who have requested the recipe, and for those of you who have yet to try it but surely should, I present to you:

SWEET POTATO GRATIN

YOU'LL NEED:
9" CASSEROLE DISH
CREAM:
1 ¾ CUP BOILING WATER
1 CUP RAW CASHEWS
½ CUP TAHINI
1 TBS FRESH-SQUEEZED LEMON JUICE
½ TSP SEA SALT
¼ TSP NUTMEG

1 LARGE SWEET POTATO, SLICED ALMOST PAPER-THIN
FRESH ROSEMARY & TARRAGON TO TASTE
COARSE-GROUND HAZELNUTS (1/2-3/4 CUP)
ADDITIONAL SEA SALT & NUTMEG FOR SPRINKLING
OLIVE OIL FOR GREASING DISH

PUT CASHEWS IN A BOWL, POUR BOILING WATER OVER THEM AND SOAK UP TO 30 MINUTES. PREHEAT OVEN TO 375 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT, AND GREASE 9 INCH CASSEROLE DISH WITH OLIVE OIL. LAY TWO LAYERS OF SWEET POTATO IN DISH, SPRINKLE WITH SALT & NUTMEG, AND POUR 1/3 OF THE CREAM OVER THE LAYERS, SMOOTHING TO COVER. SPRINKLE GENEROUSLY WITH TARRAGON AND ROSEMARY. REPEAT TWICE. BAKE FOR 30 MINUTES, REMOVE AND TOP WITH GROUND HAZELNUTS. RETURN TO OVEN FOR AN ADDITIONAL 10-15 MINUTES, UNTIL HAZELNUTS BECOME LIGHTLY TOASTED.

4 comments:

lisa moses said...

awesome kris! i can't wait to try it:)
luv. lis.

GLOW said...

A little bit of my love making it's way to your kitchen in the Rockies? Sounds wonderful.

Sam said...

I made this the other night and it was SO amazing, thanks for the recipe!

GLOW said...

You're so very welcome, and thank you so much for letting me know! It makes me really happy to hear it.

Post a Comment